The start of League 1

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

The start of League 1

Postby Garawa » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:13 am

The Gills seem to have the potential to have a decent start to the campaign. Doncaster away is a tricky start however first game can go any way at all. Burton at home would fancy some points from them Bury away who are in turmoil. Blackpool at home looks good considering how we destroyed them at theirs on the final day before Coventry away playing only their 3rd match in their "new" (borrowed) stadium. Then finally comes Bolton at home who may well no longer exist at that point or will be fielding kids and getting ripped apart.

Bolton failed to complete last season, have had to cancel pre-season matches and players have no access to training facilities. Staff haven't been paid for 20 weeks, the team will start on -12 points and there is no sign of any resolution two weeks before the season starts. Bury will also start on -12 points after going into a CVA. Yet again they threw large sums at promotion (the previous one resulted in relegation) and now have no money. They have 3 players on their books and a recent pre-season friendly saw them field an ENTIRE squad of trialists!

It is hard to see how either team could compete efficiently this season. In the case of Bolton, it is looking concerning that they might not compete at all. Why is the EFL allowing this to go with financial fair play rules and "fit and proper" owner tests meant to prevent this? We struggle with poor signings to abide by them yet some flout the rules and go for broke. Scunthorpe did the same last season so perhaps that might be them soon too. I'm not a great fan of Scally but I'm pleased we are not in that boat given the lack of fan support we get, chasing a dream that rarely materialises and then going bust months later.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: The start of League 1

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:21 am

Good old Mr.Garawa, very very happy to have Gillingham Football Club in the 3rd or 4th division for ever, never getting anywhere ,never winning anything. Someone has to explain to me how going to watch Gillingham play Fleetwood Town on a cold wet rainy afternoon in February when The Gills are in 20th place in the table and Fleetwood are in 16th place , who apart from the 3,500 who would even bother to put wellies on to go outside the front door to watch that game ?
Bet if we were in our new Stadium that Mr.Scally is going to build for us and were playing Spurs the stadium would have 30,000 people in it. But it's Gillingham so lets go Gills,big game coming up against Burton Albion soon, Get your tickets here, TODAY,there will only be 7,500 available on the day of the game.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:14 pm

I am pragmatic about it. The fan base is huge yet cannot be bothered and yes the incumbent chairman may play a part in it but, lets be honest, 95% of Medway has absolutely no intention of turning out to a Gills game unless its at Wembley. All the while that is the case then our hand is forced. I think we have to look at how 2 out of 24 League 1 clubs are in severe financial peril and it would be reckless to not take note of that. Maybe this year we will see some ambition - free players still but this time young and hungry players with some quality. Maybe that then will lead to a promotion push that will see numbers increase but the days of throwing money at football outside the EPL are LONG gone. In fact, many clubs in the EPL do not seem to have money to spend either! Football in England is very different these days.

Anyway, the point of the post is about games that look like we can get a good start and if we can beat Charlton 3-1 then we may just make Priestfield a fortress again. 2 seasons of dross at home will have killed the attendances hugely.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:51 am

We have been dross for a couple of years, hahahaha, I love you Mr G, try about ....well lets see. We were formed in 1893,and till 1920 played no one, then in 1921 we were VOTED into Division 3, we didn't win anything getting there we were voted in, then in 1937 we were kicked out,VOTED back in in 1949 then in 1963/4 we actually got promoted and came up from Division 4 to Division 3.
BIG TIME HIT THE GILLS,2000, to 2005 we rode the high of highs in the CHAMPIONSHIP, then in 2012/13 season we got promoted from the 4th Division to the 3rd.
So what I am saying is that in the about ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE YEARS, we have been successful for SEVEN YEARS, way to go GILLINGHAM FC.
I guess the best bit about it all is that Scally and all the Mrs.Scally's and the useless kid who enjoys causing bodily harm and going to jail , and the dopey kid that actually got paid for managing to produce a bi-weekly program for the Gills, his ex wives Ellen and Lisa Marie and 3 other kids have all made great lives for themselves out of good old GILLINGHAM FOOTBALL CLUB, and we pretend until now he gave a sh*t about GFC and the fans, haha.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:48 am

Bury are looking in severe trouble and have been given 14 days to avoid the EFL removing their ability to compete. How can a club be in such bad shape so soon after a promotion? Bolton meanwhile have cancelled their friendly this weekend and, I believe, have yet to play a friendly match with 1 week of the season to go.

Garawa

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION